Sunday, August 5, 2012

Soaring with the Eagles

I wasn't planing on updating the blog this weekend but I did promise one of my best mates that I would.

This weekends sporting action has been phenomenal, Team GB have been dominating things in the Olympic Stadium, in the velodrome, on the water, on the tennis court and even in the Gymnastics hall. Not bad considering the press were moaning about how crap we were doing a few days ago - a distant memory. We are now sitting pretty with 34 medals (16 Gold, 9 Silver, 9 Bronze) compared to Beijing where we racked up 47 medals (19 Gold, 13 Silver, 15 Bronze). We've still got a week to go and I'm sure there are a few more medals in the pipeline for Team GB. Makes you proud to be British! 

The highlight of my sporting weekend didn't come from London or the Olympics. Funnily enough it came from Sunnyside in Falkirk where Edinburgh Eagles Rugby League soared to a 36 - 10 victory over Aberdeen Warriors to claim their 9th championship title in 14 seasons. That means that in the history of the League in Scotland the club have a championship completion rate of 65%. That is sporting dominance. 

I was helping out with the coaching which was great and its still an awesome club to be involved in.

Edinburgh Eagles 2012




This weekend has been pretty good fun, I managed to get in a quick half hour session in the gym with the Darren (the bear) Steadwood. He dominated me, I had absolutely no energy but managed to get through it before heading off to the rugby. 

I also managed to squeeze in a quick demo of what I saw on Friday's wrestling demo in the form of the leg lock and roll. I remembered it which was good but my demo buddy Clive used to be a marine and almost snapped my elbow with a submission move.

Watching the Grecco Wrestling today, I think its safe to say I'll be going to try for Freestyle. I think the strengths of my wrestling will be through the rugby stuff that I've done and the ability to hook the leg and wrap up on the ground.  

I'm still being hit with people thinking that i'm joking but I guess they'll see once #mission2014 takes off properly in a weeks time!

In the mean time, i'm on holiday for a week, heading up to see the folks and the in laws before gettting back to head to Steely's leaving BBQ on Saturday night. (Obviously no drinking).

Final words for the weekend, congratulations to the Eagles boy on a fantastic effort and great win. Credit has to go to my friends in Aberdeen as well though. To get three teams out on Grand Finals day in their second year in existance is no mean feat. Congrats and commiserations to them, i'm sure your day will come. 

#mission2014 = one week to go.







No comments:

Post a Comment