Friday, September 14, 2012

Back in the Groove and second hand shoes!

After my "recovery week" last week, I am firmly back in the groove, I have properly beasted myself this week and i've loved it! I can't seem to get through a session without looking like i've been for a swim and i'm down to 115.4kg (18st 3lb). Not that dropping weight is what this is about but I have shed some fat and that's beginning to tell. I'm got a slight niggle in the shoulder which could be overuse so trying to take it a little easier but its not causing any major issues with training.

So after last week and feeling horrible, this week has been Cameron's turn to feel crap and unfortunately for Emma and I, that means restless nights! I finally got my first good nights sleep in about 5 days, it was very much needed. To business though...   

Ray's Saturday night wrestling
Shoes - LEGEND!
Within hours of me posting my last post to the blog about shoes and singlets, I had a facebook message from my mate Ray Fetorazzi. Ray of all people had some size 11 wrestling shoes that he was prepared to donate to a good cause. I haven't seen the bad boys properly yet but Ray assures me they are wrestling shoes. I was a little sceptical but after an explanation that the red shoes were bought cheap in TKmaxx in the 90's because they and I quote "looked cool under jeans on a saturday night" I was convinced. I'm looking forward to trying them on.

Monday heralded the new week of training at ENGAGE and its fair to say that I managed to get into it quite well. I had my first proper wrestling session with Michael Cavanagh, in all honesty - it was awesome, I loved it, I think i'm quite "nimbly pimbly" around the mat at the moment (for a big lad) and had a good session wrestling with Dave Foggo. Dave weighs in at about 104kg I think but it a strong lad, so it was good to have him along and wrestling, I think we probably ended up evens in the wrestle in the end. My defence needs work but we were throwing each other around which was pretty painful, probably more so for Dave given that I have Atlas 10kg on him. It's not too dissimilar to rugby really in the techniques to use and certainly the rugby league work i've done in the past transfers nicely across to wrestling. I've got a horrific friction burn on my leg and a cracking bruise on my knee after sliding to leg grab but other than that, I came out pretty well.

Circuits this week have been great, I've really enjoyed them. i'm not sure if its that i'm getting more familiar with the exercises but I am loving a dead lift at the moment and my squats, particularly overhead have improved a massive amount. Altogether a positive week! I've got to do a bit more running, I have done one 2 mile run this week combined with flexibility work which i've needed given the amount of leg work that i've been doing. My take on it all is below.




I Even managed to get a few clips of my training today, which shows you a few of the things i've been up to including my arch nemesis of an exercise, the piston squat. I haven't put all the videos on the blog but if you are interested in seeing the others you can hop across to my youtube channel and that should keep you entertained for a minute or two. My coordination has never been great to be honest so if you want a small snigger check out the single leg hop take 1. I almost wipe out. Below are Piston squats (nemesis) and Swiss Ball hamstring curl (awful things).


For me Piston Squats really take a toll on the knees, I've not had any issues yet, in fact they are getting stronger and able to support but you can probably see me struggle.
  

These are really good, but a nasty exercise for the hamstrings, I've only been doing them for a couple of weeks, so you will have to excuse the form.


This weekend brings with it 4 training sessions for me, one run, 2 circuits and a flexibility session. The good thing is that i've had KCR today which has chilled me out, relaxed me and I feel a whole lot better and my leg length is back to even once more. Just need to get my masseuse on the case for the shoulder and loosen the hammy's and i'll be grand.

The agenda for next week is more of the same really, no wrestling for me unfortunately but I might look at trying to get through to Glasvegas for a session to see how the full time Scottish boys do it and what Vladamirs (Scottish Head Coach) thoughts are on training etc...

As always thanks for reading and sharing the journey. I can official relax knowing that I enjoy wrestling and can confirm that #mission2014 is well underway!

until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment